We all have great inner strength. Strength is self-belief. There is an attitude and a desire to win. You have to see yourself as a winner before you can really win. And you have to be hungry. You have to want to win – Arnold Schwarzenegger, a famous actor, athlete, businessman, philanthropist, author, politician and former governor of California, once said, who managed to realize the American dream even though he was born in a poor Austrian village.
Annie, as one of his numerous nicknames reads, celebrated his 74th birthday on July 30 this year, and with his energy, work and life, he testified that he had not yet said the “last word”.
He gained the greatest fame with the series about the cyborg Terminator, about which five films were made. As he himself announced, Terminator is back, and director James Cameron has great ideas for continuing the franchise. He is also known as one of the greatest bodybuilders of all time, which is confirmed by the titles of Junior Mr. Europe 1965, Mr. Europe 1966, Mr. International 1968, five titles Mr. Universe, Mr. World 1970, and seven Mr. titles Olympia.
That is why his name is synonymous with bodybuilding, which helped him revive indestructible action heroes. His height of 188 centimeters also supports this, which is why he was nicknamed “Austrian Oak”.
Below, I will present you the life story of Arnold Schwarzenegger!
Arnold Schwarzenegger was born in Austria on July 30, 1947 in Tal. From an early age, he was cheerful, curious and loved sports. He first lifted a weight at the age of 13, when a football coach took him to the gym. A year later, he set out to become the best bodybuilder in the world, and at 17, he began a serious sports career. But he did not have full family support in that. He grew up in a 300-year-old house, the Schwarzenegger family did not have a refrigerator in the house for a long time, and they brought water from a well about two hundred meters away. The head of the house, Gustav Schwarzenegger, was a strict local policeman who supported Meinhard’s older son more than Arnold. Every day he gave his sons physical challenges in which Meinhard would always be better, and the younger son listened to the criticism.
So for a while, the father claimed that Annie was not his son. The actor later described his father as inaccessible, while he always had a great relationship with his housewife mother Aurelia.
He blamed his father so much for the abuse that he did not even come to his funeral in 1972, nor did his brother, who died in a car accident while driving drunk. But still, after his brother’s death, he adopted his son Patrick and took care of him. As the family was always tormented by lack of money, he discovered that one of his happiest days was when they got a refrigerator.
His sports results contributed the most to a better life. Before he fell in love with bodybuilding, the future star was involved in running, throwing balls and spears, boxing, and his love of lifting weights won out.
– When I was ten, I wanted to become the best at something, so I started swimming. I won championships, but I felt I couldn’t be the best. I tried to ski, but I realized I had no potential. I played football, but I didn’t really like it, because I wasn’t the only one who deserved it if I did something spectacular, so I started avoiding team sports. I started lifting weights and I liked it. I won the Austrian Championship in 1964, but I was too tall for that. I gave up on that and started doing bodybuilding. After two years, I realized that this is what I can be the best at – he discovered years later.
At the age of 16, he equipped the basement of the house so as not to pay a gym membership fee because it was too expensive for him. He wanted to win the title of Mr. Universe. As a teenager, he went to the cinema in Graz and watched with admiration the muscular film heroes Johnny Weissmuller in the role of Tarzan and Steve Reeves who played Hercules. He also admired the bodybuilding heroes of that time, Regu Park, Bill Pearl and Larry Scott, who was his idol from the very beginning of training and inspiration for everything he will achieve afterwards. In 1961, he met Kurt Marnul, the former Mister of Austria, who was impressed by Annie’s body and invited him to train at his club in Graz.
Four years later, Annie joined the Austrian army. He soon entered the junior competition for Mister Europe and won. Since he was in the army, he had to desert in order to participate in the competition, so he ended up in a military prison. As he later said, he did not think about the consequences at all, because the competition was very important to him. In 1966, he competed for the title of Mr. He won second place at the University of London, but he impressed Judge Charles Bennett so much that he eventually offered to coach him.
Moving to England
In London, Annie started learning English, and he met his childhood idol – Rega Park. As early as 1967, he won his first Mr. title. Universe, at the age of only 20, so he became the youngest winner in the history of that competition. His success was a ticket to America, a country he had dreamed of since he was ten. But America had to wait another year, because after the victory he went to Munich, where he exercised up to six hours a day in the fitness center where he worked and attended economics school.
– Title Mr. Universe was a real opportunity for me to become a star and get rich – admitted Annie, who in 1970 defeated the idol of Reg Park at a competition in New York, and as a 23-year-old won Olympia, making him the youngest winner in the history of that competition. His hunger for success led him to five more consecutive Olympics, and in 1975 he announced that he was retiring from competitive bodybuilding.
He raised a lot of dust in 1980 by winning the seventh title of Mr. Olympia in Australia, which many consider controversial, because he returned from sports retirement and prepared for the competition for only eight weeks.
– As a child, I idealized sports winners. It is one thing to idealize heroes, and another to imagine yourself in their place. When I saw extraordinary people, I said to myself: “I can be in that place”, pointed out the movie star who still promotes bodybuilding in professional magazines.
Many, on the other hand, believe that he used steroids (they were not banned at the time and little was known about them) in building muscle. However, he claims that he used steroids only a week before the big competitions in order to pump the muscles with blood to make them look bigger.
– I do what I want, I don’t care what others think. Even if they disagree and say I’m wasting my time, I still want to be a bodybuilder. I love that feeling in the muscles, the competition and everything it brings me. In fact, I’ve never had to work in my life. I didn’t have a fixed-term job, but I was earning well. I traveled the world because of competition. I’ve made a job out of what I enjoy, which only five percent of the population can do. The other 95 percent are frustrated office workers working for someone else. I am completely independent. If I were born again, I would repeat everything – he claimed, and he vividly explained his philosophy of sports Olympus.
– The only way to become a champion is to go through all the repetitions of exercises, torture and pain. That’s why I call it the torture routine. I torture my body. On the other hand, it helps me look at that pain as a pleasure. The pain makes me bigger, and that’s what I actually want. That’s why pain is a pleasure for me. When I feel it, it is paradise for me. People think it’s masochistic, but they’re wrong. I like pain for a reason – Arnie explains.
Arriving in America
At the age of 21, he finally went “across the pond”, with only $20 in his pocket and not very great knowledge of English, but with great ambition and the mentality of a winner.
– When I finally arrived in America, it was a very special day. I remember that I came with empty pockets, but full of dreams, determination and desire for success – he said.
Going to America also brought him his first serious love, Barbara Outland, an English teacher with whom he had been in a relationship for five years. She was a great support to him, and they broke up because she aspired to an ordinary life that Annie despised. He wanted to make a name for himself as an actor, although his first encounters with film agents ended ingloriously. They told him that he would not succeed because of his funny accent and developed body, especially because they were physically smaller, characterful actors.
But Annie did not let himself be distracted, so he devoted himself even more to learning English. He got his first role in the low-budget film ‘Hercules in New York’, which can be attributed to the slutting of the famous Canadian bodybuilder Joe Vader, who convinced the producers that Annie already has acting experience in the Viennese theater.
He was then signed as Arnold Strong because his name is difficult to pronounce. Despite Barbara’s unreserved support, Schwarzenegger left her, and she pointed out in the book “Arnold and Me: in the Shadow of the Austrian Oak” that they were very different. Annie did not spend time on grief, but dedicated himself to education, so in 1979 he graduated in international marketing and business management in the field of fitness and business at the University of Wisconsin, and in 1983 he became an American citizen. In 1977, he published an autobiography and exercise manual, “Arnold: The Education of a Bodybuilder”.
As early as 1976, he had a more important role in the film “Stay Hungry”, for which he received the “Golden Globe” in the category of New Best Male Star. He soon met hairdresser Sue Morey in Beverly Hills with whom he had a very open relationship; only in Los Angeles were they faithful to each other. But the romance was interrupted by the moment when Annie met Maria Shriver, the niece of President John F. Kennedy, at the tennis tournament in New York in 1977, and she immediately knocked him off his feet.
– She won me over with her character, appearance, firm and determined attitudes. She is my biggest support in life. I love her, I will always take care of her. Mary is a strong woman with a great sense of humor. You can discuss anything with her in a fun and interesting way. While I was a bodybuilder, I would be tempted to eat a piece of cheesecake, but Maria would take it from me and remind me of the competition. She has always been such a partner – the actor praised his chosen one, who was delighted with the muscular star.
Maria pointed out that she immediately fell in love with Arnold, with his sense of humor and determination to get the best out of every day. The famous couple got engaged in August 1985, and got married on April 26, 1986, in the state of Massachusetts. They were idyllic spouses who had four children in 25 years of marriage: today 27-year-old Catherine, 25-year-old Christine, 23-year-old Patrick and 19-year-old Christopher. However, Annie was not exactly faithful.
During the filming of “Red Sonja” in 1985, he became involved with the sex symbol Brigitte Nielsen. The actress was then married to his friend Sylvester Stallone, and later she wrote in her autobiography that she had no idea that Annie was with Maria.
– We wanted to try everything, we did not refrain. There were no promises, no bans, it was one of the best phases in my life. Annie assured me that I was his only one. He never mentioned to me that he was going to marry Mary and that their relationship was serious. If I had known, I wouldn’t have gotten into it – the Danish actress revealed.
Before his marriage to Maria failed in 2011, Schwarzenegger was successful in everything he touched.
– Good things don’t happen by accident. Every day carries certain risks, especially the risk of failure. But the risk didn’t stop me. Imagine a person trying something and failing. He has to try again. You cannot be unsuccessful forever. If you try something ten times, you have a better chance of succeeding for the 11th time than if you haven’t tried it at all – this is the life philosophy of a movie star.
In addition to cult roles in the films “Conan the Barbarian” and “Conan the Destroyer”, the “Terminator” franchise, which began in 1984, his role will be remembered in the films “Commandos” 1985, “Raw Contract” 1986,, “Predator” 1987, “Red Glow” 1988, “The Last Action Hero” 1993, “Batman and Robin” 1997, “Revenge” 2002, “Capitalism – a Love Story” 2009, “Escape Plan” 2013, and showed comedic talent in the films “The Cop” from kindergarten ”in 1990,“ Junior ”in 1994 and“ Crazy Christmas party ”in 1996.
He was engaged for years around the Paralympic Games, as well as the problem of climate change, and his entrepreneurial spirit showed when he started the masonry company “European Brick” with Frank Columbus, whose profits were wisely invested in the sale of bodybuilding and fitness equipment. He has invested in bodybuilding and movies for years in stocks, bonds, companies and real estate, and for a time he co-owned the Planet Hollywood restaurant chain with Bruce Willis, Sylvester Stallone and Demi Moore.
He never hid his fascination with politics and social engagement, and he began his new career as president of the Fitness and Sports Council in the government of President George W. Bush from 1990 to 1993. He became a Republican as soon as he came to America, more precisely after hearing Nixon’s speech in the presidential campaign about the great opportunities that America offers.
From 2003 to 2011, he was governor of California. It has been speculated that political success may be due to the reputation of his wife’s family, which is a Democrat, but he claimed that Maria never influenced his political beliefs. He claimed that he and his wife respected and understood each other in political differences.
– I’ve been running away from politics my whole life. But, when he told me what he was planning, I didn’t want to stop him – said Marija. But it was not politics that ruled the marriage of Arnold Schwarzenegger and Maria Shriver, but sexual scandals.
When he ran for governor of California in 2003, the media reported that from 1980 to 2000, several women accused him of sexual harassment. His wife then passionately defended him. After apologizing for inappropriate behavior, he won the election. And then a new affair broke out. Maria began to suspect that Arnold had an affair with their housekeeper Mildred Bean, because her son Joseph, a peer of their Christian, looked very much like Arnold. And she was right. Annie admitted the affair with Bean, which gave birth to his son Joseph in 1997, and Maria, in order not to ruin his political career, waited for the end of her second term as governor and filed for divorce in 2011.
While the housekeeper was hiding from the public at the time of the outbreak of the affair, her ex-husband Rohelio Baena, spoke on the TV show “Entertainment Tonight”. He said that he had only recently discovered that he was not the biological father of his son and that what happened to him could be called the greatest betrayal. He said he had been married to Mildred for ten years and that, no matter what, he wanted to hug his son whom he still wanted to be a father to. There is simply nothing that can change that feeling. He also pointed out that Arnold was his hero and that Mary was destroyed.
At the time of the outbreak of the affair, which the actor said was the dumbest thing that had happened to him in his life, several mistresses were still mentioned. The American media wrote that Maria was very disappointed, and it was speculated that the former governor deliberately chose unattractive women. Simply because he thought that beautiful and successful women were harder to please, so he played with naive housekeepers who looked at him as a deity. While the divorce lawsuit was going on, the Schwarzenegger family was hit by another drama.
Namely, their 13-year-old son Christopher, had a serious accident on the beach in Malibu. While he was surfing, he was covered by a big wave and ended up in the hospital with multiple rib fractures and crushed lungs. Doctors fought for his life, and his parents were not brought together again by the trouble.
– Joseph is a great guy and he is aware of the situation. It is not easy for him, nor for all of us, but now we have to think about how to proceed – Annie said after the divorce.
His daughter Catherine then revealed to The Talk magazine that the whole family, despite everything, has a lot of love and that her parents have done a lot of good. For “Men’s Journal”, the actor revealed that it is important for him to have a good relationship with his illegitimate son Joseph Bean, as well as with other children.
– I can hit my head as much as I want, but I can’t turn back time. It doesn’t work that way. That is why the most important thing for me is the relationship with the children – he said. After all the troubles that befell him, in 2012 he published an autobiography “Total Recall” in which he described his three periods of life – bodybuilding, acting and political career, revealed how after coming to the US in just five years he became the best bodybuilder in the world. After ten years he graduated and became a millionaire, after 20 years a world movie star, and after 35 years he achieved another success and became the governor of California.
Back to the movie
After his term as governor, he returned to the big screen and made the films “The Last Battle” in 2013, “Sabotage” in 2014 and “Terminator” in 2015.
A passionate lover of the Hummer, a civilian American military vehicle, and an ardent environmental activist, he spoke wittily about his wealth.
– Money does not make you happy, I am just as happy with 50 as with 48 million – “modest” is an ambitious actor. It has been speculated in the New York Post a few years ago that his political ambitions have not yet subsided, and it was stated that Annie is considering the possibility of running for president of the United States, but the American constitution may prevent him from doing so. to be president.
The public was also amused by his argument with the President of the USA, Donald Trump, who hosted the television show “Trainee” for years, and in 2015 he was taken over by Schwarzenegger. When the show dropped, Trump mocked Annie that it would be good to pray for him because of the low viewership, and he told him that it would be best to change places so that the nation could sleep peacefully.
Eventually Annie gave up running the show. But that doesn’t worry him at all, because he has been enjoying a relationship with Heather Milligan, a 28-year-old physical therapist, for three years, with whom he appeared in public for the first time in 2014 in the Austrian ski resort of Kitzbühel. Then he was welcomed in his homeland as a big star.
– I am happiest to be able to focus on the vision of where I want to be in the future. I can see it as I dream, as if it is in front of me. But I am not burdened by that because I already feel that I have achieved the goal, it is only a matter of time – said the actor who must have visualized more life goals.
I hope you liked Arnold Schwarzenegger’s biography?
If you have any questions or suggestions, please leave them in the comments!
For more motivational stories, you can visit https://motivationbymarco.com/